The Provost’s Ad Hoc Committee on Freedom of Expression is inviting the university community to offer its thoughts on what considerations the committee should reflect upon when drafting Western’s policy on freedom of expression, Michael Milde, Committee Chair, announced today.
Campus Community Consultation Sessions are scheduled for the following days and times in the Atrium, of the International & Graduate Affairs Building:
- 1-3 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 2. RSVP by 1 p.m. Monday, Oct. 1;
- 2:30-4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 3. RSVP by 1 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 2;
- 9:30-11:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 5. RSVP by 1 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 4;
- 1:30-3:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5. RSVP by 1 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 4.
As space is limited, register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by the indicated RSVP deadline. Please provide the following information for registration: name, contact email, relationship to Western (eg. staff, faculty and/or student).
Written comments are also accepted at email@example.com.
The Ad Hoc Committee on Freedom of Expression comes in response to a directive issued by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities on Aug. 30 that requires all publicly assisted postsecondary institutions to develop and publicly post their own free speech policy by Jan. 1, 2019.
Committee members includes:
- Michael Milde, Chair, Arts & Humanities Dean;
- Pam Bishop, Associate Professor and Associate Dean, Education (President and Provost appointee);
- Colin Couchman, Director, Cyber Security and Business Services (Professional Managerial Association appointee);
- Alison Hearn, Associate Professor, Information & Media Studies (University of Western Ontario Faculty Association appointee);
- Michael Lynk, Associate Professor, Law (President and Provost appointee);
- Treena Orchard, Associate Professor, Health Sciences (UWOFA appointee);
- Stephen Pitel, Professor, Law (UWOFA appointee);
- Mitchell Pratt, President, University Students’ Council (USC appointee);
- Mary Blake Rose, President, Society of Graduate Students (SOGS appointee);
- Samuel Trosow, Associate Professor, Law and Information & Media Studies (UWOFA appointee); and
- Tiffany Trudgeon, Graduate Affairs Assistant, Education (University of Western Ontario Staff Association appointee).