OTTAWA – Five Western alumni were named among 105 new appointments to the Order of Canada, Julie Payette, Governor General of Canada, recently announced. The new member list includes 3 Companions, 20 Officers and 82 Members.
The Western honourees included:
- David Fox, BA’63, named a Member for his achievements as an actor and for his contributions as a champion of Canadian theatre;
- Jon Love, HBA’76, named a Member for his contributions to the Canadian economy as a business leader and for his generosity to numerous health care and educational institutions;
- Margaret Baumann, MScN’73, named a Member for her leadership in advancing nursing education and in shaping policy and practice in the field of health human resources;
- Roberta Bondar, MSc ’71, DSc,’95, promoted to Companion for her contributions to Canadians’ awareness of environmental sustainability as an educator, patron and internationally recognized photographer, and for her pioneering work in space medicine research; and
- Perrin Beatty, BA’71, LLD’13, named an Officer for his lifetime of public service and for his devotion to the development of our nation as a community leader and corporate visionary.
Created in 1967, the Order of Canada, one of the country’s highest civilian honours, recognizes outstanding achievement, dedication to the community and service to the nation. Close to 7 000 people from all sectors of society have been invested into the Order.