For first-year university students, those early days can be filled with questions and anxieties as students make the transition to university life. But fear not, Off to Western looks to take some of that apprehension away.
Off to Western is an opportunity for new students to find answers to all their questions from people who were once in their shoes. And it’s right in their community during the month of August. Events include:
- Oakville. 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 13 at the Harbour Banquet & Conference Centre, 2340 Ontario St., Oakville;
- Ottawa. 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 13 at the Ottawa Rowing Club, 10 Lady Grey Dr., Ottawa;
- Calgary. 7-8:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 15 at the Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame, 169 Canada Olympic Rd SW, Calgary;
- Niagara Region. 7-8:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 15 at the Stone Mill Inn, 271 Merritt Street, St. Catharines;
- Toronto. 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 17 at the SilverCity Yorkdale Cinemas, 3401 Dufferin St., Toronto;
- Vancouver. 7-8:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 19 at the Museum of Vancouver, 1100 Chestnut Street, Vancouver;
- Waterloo Region. 7-8:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 22 at the Cambridge Mill, 110 Water Street North, Cambridge.
At the events, students can find out about everything from residence food and O-Week to first-year workload and what clubs, intramurals and volunteer opportunities are available.
“With more than 800 guests in attendance in 2012, Off to Western continues to provide support to incoming students as they make the transition from high school to university,” said Tanya Bhaskar, Off to Western coordinator. “Off to Western allows for both students and parents to ease the anxiety that they may feel before coming to university and above all, creates an atmosphere of belonging and excitement.
“At Off to Western, you will realize you are not alone.”
Students interested in taking part in any of these events need to complete the online RSVP form (located on the webpage of the event their wish to attend) or call 1-800-258-6896 ext. 88960.